Milgaard Inquiry

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Don't execute Stan "Tookie" Williams!

Stan "Tookie" Williams is scheduled to be executed in California on December 13. He was arrested and convicted of gang-related charges and the murder of four individuals. Tookie admits to being involved in the gang but has always maintained his innocence in terms of the killings.

His supporters are asking that his sentence be commuted and changed to life in prison without parole. Doesn't sound like an unreasonable request to me, especially considering the fact that Tookie turned his life around in prison. He started writing children's books and has been nominated for Nobel Piece Prizes. His life story has been played by Jamie Foxx in a movie called Redemption -- showing this movie in Toronto school systems could help to decrease gang violence, according to Toronto hip-hop activists.

Capital punishment is inhumane. It's morally wrong, it's disproportionately applied to people of color -- did I mention that he was black? -- and we are fortunate that we don't have the death penalty here in Canada. Numerous studies have shown that a large percentage of people on death row have had their cases overturned on appeal. (Read the article on capital punishment by the former governor of Illinois in my Archives section.) We can't afford to be executing the innocent.

Please follow Tookie's case at www.thuglifearmy.com/news/?id=2123\/. Sign the guestbook and protest this injustice. For more about the "Save Tookie" clemency petition signed by teachers, professors, juvenile correctional officers and law enforcement officials around the world, visit the new http://www.savetookie.org/ website, or in Canada e-mail: deejay_ra@chrwradio.com

Sigrid Mac

1 Comments:

  • At 1:16 PM, Blogger Sigrid Macdonald said…

    Well, firstly, supporters of Stan Williams believe that he was wrongly convicted, therefore, he did not kill four people, if his believers are correct.

    Secondly, if you punched me in the nose and I punched you back, would your provocation make my response right? Sounds cliché but two wrongs don't make a right.

    No, it's never right for someone to kill a human being AND that includes the state. And, just to reiterate, I don't believe that Tookie W. is guilty. But even if he were, I am not a supporter of the death penalty.

    Had it been my mother, I would need to know with 100% certainty that the person was actually guilty. Even then, I fail to see how electrocuting the bastard would bring my mother back to me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

[ Sign My Guestbook] [ View My Guestbook]

Powered by E-GuestBooks Server.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.