Milgaard Inquiry

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Betty Ann Adam Rocks!

I'm very excited!

I wrote to Betty Ann Adam of the Star Phoenix last week to tell her about my novel, D'Amour Road. D'Amour Road is loosely based around the disappearance and tragic death of Louise Ellis, a member of my Milgaard group. As many of you know, I was the former co-coordinator of the David Milgaard Support Group here in Ottawa.

Louise was a freelance journalist who was interested in writing a book about David. Consequently, she attended the Supreme Court hearings to get more information about his case. It was there that she had her fateful meeting with Brett Morgan, a jailhouse informant, who testified that Larry Fisher had confided in him when they were cellmates; apparently, Fisher had boasted that he had once killed someone but someone else was doing the time for it.

Louise admired Brett for coming forth with this information, which was dangerous for a convict. No one likes a tattletale and I'm sure that it didn't make him very popular in prison. She struck up a correspondence with Morgan and traveled back and forth to see him at the penitentiary. Louise took money out of her own pocket to hire lawyers to get Morgan out of prison early. He was in for manslaughter -- should have been murder -- because he had killed a woman by the name of Gwen Telford in Edmonton (In many newspaper articles, Telford is only referred to as "a prostitute" which really pisses me off!)

Louise and Brett fell in love. She took him into her house when he got out of jail. He got a job and about nine months later, Louise went missing. I was part of the search team that went looking for her. Since Brett was actively involved in the search and vehemently proclaiming his innocence, it was awkward for all of us who were looking for her. I met with Brett once in person and spoke to him several times on the phone. If I hadn't known that he had killed one women and that his girlfriend was missing, I would've thought that he was charming. He was earnest and personable and appeared to be perfectly normal.

Brett led a private detective directly to Louise's body about three months into the investigation. He was charged with first-degree murder and was convicted largely on circumstantial evidence. He died of Hep C in prison; can't say that I shed too many tears over that.

I was profoundly affected by the death of my cohort, Louise Ellis. My novel is not biographical. I did not trace the exact relationship of Brett and Louise; instead, I asked myself what the situation would have been like if Louise and I had been best friends. How would I have felt then? What would I have done differently? How hard is it to balance the presumption of innocence with the realization that I don't want to be an idiot and overlook the fact that male partners are often involved in female disappearances; ex cons are even more suspicious!

In my book, I tried to make the male character a cross between Scott Peterson and Brett Morgan. The book is told mainly from the perspective of the best friend of the woman who disappears. It takes place in Ottawa and I examine issues like the presumption of innocence, the ever present possibility of a wrongful conviction, violence against women, midlife issues and unrequited love. You can read a preview of the book at http://www.lulu.com/content/117949
or find it directly on Amazon (Just ignore what they say about it taking three to four weeks to ship. That's crazy! It would never take that long.)

Keep your fingers crossed that Betty Ann Adam likes it and that the Star Phoenix will review it. She has been writing about Milgaard for years and was not aware of this spinoff from the case. In fact, she told me that the inquiry only heard about Morgan on Monday when one of the ex-cops suggested that it would be nice to have Morgan testify (from Six Feet Under?)

David Asper also has a copy of my book and is trying to get it reviewed for me in between his scrapes with the Blue Bombers. LOL.

Sigrid Mac

10 Comments:

  • At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Brett Morgan, although smooth and seemingly normal was a physcopathic, murderous animal.

    I'm quite glad he's dead!! Scum of the earth.

     
  • At 3:54 PM, Blogger Sigrid Macdonald said…

    Totally agree. I never meant to imply otherwise. What I meant was that if I had met him under other circumstances and hadn't known that he had already murdered one woman and his partner was missing, I would've thought that he was an ordinary guy.

    Ann Rule wrote one of her first books after she had sat on a crisis Hotline with Ted Bundy. Imagine Ted Bundy volunteering on a crisis Hotline! She knew him and found him to be very personable and kind.

    Morgan was a real low life with no conscience, no feelings and no clue about how good he had it when a woman as decent as Louise loved him.

     
  • At 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm so glad he's dead. I escaped (barely) from his hands around my neck and often dream about him coming after me when he gets out of jail. reading he has died has given me great comfort........I hope he suffered.
    Christine

     
  • At 12:41 PM, Blogger Sigrid Macdonald said…

    OMG, Christine! I'm so sorry to hear about your ordeal. It gives me the shivers just thinking about it. I had no idea that Brett had assaulted or victimized other women -- sounds as though you're lucky to be alive. But I can see where you'd have nightmares, for a long long time!

    I'm really glad you came across my blog so you know that he's dead and buried and will never harm you again. What an SOB. I wonder how many other women he hurt.

    A big hug to you, my friend.
    Sigrid

     
  • At 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Betty Ann Adam is my cousin...yay~
    Hmmm, I wonder if she knows that she is a celebrity online?! haha

     
  • At 12:26 PM, Blogger Sigrid Macdonald said…

    Oh, that's so interesting that you're related to Betty Ann! I've admired her for years and read whatever she wrote about the Milgaard case. I don't get everything because I live in Ottawa, so many were pieces that Joyce sent me herself.

    Unfortunately, I never did hear back from her about my D'Amour Road book :-( But she still rocks!

    Hope that both she and you are doing well and surviving the brutal winter. Thanks so much for posting.

    Sigrid

     
  • At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Sigrid

    If you read the transcripts from Louise's trial,(I assume they are available??) you will be able to read my testimony.I was in Ottawa for Louise's trial.
    It was a long time ago, and Brett exhibited his murderous traits at a young age. I lived with him for approximately 4 months in Edmonton. When I figured out just how serious my mistake was and tried to leave, it almost cost me my life. I left Canada for a year and lived in Florida to escape from him. When I think back to the things he did....it could be a movie......a very scary one. He was an unbelievable con man. Just so glad I don't ever have to worry about him getting out and starting over, as he would. He is/was a cold blooded killer....no conscience and no regrets.

    Thanks for your kind words.

    Christine

     
  • At 7:27 AM, Blogger Sigrid Macdonald said…

    Christine,

    Great hearing from you again. It must've taken a lot of courage for you to have shown up at Louise's trial! I was subpoenaed but I was very ill at the time and couldn't get there.

    It's interesting that Brett exhibited such cold-blooded traits at an early age. Do you know anything about his childhood? Not trying to justify anything that he ever did -- just trying to understand. I used to think everything was influenced by the environment and early childhood upbringing, but there are so many people who have atrocious upbringings and are abused and beaten but they don't become victimizers themselves. Think of refugees or people living in Burundi and Rwanda! They don't become killers. And then there are other people who have perfectly normal childhoods but have never had a conscience, kind of like the Dexter character on TV.

    Hiding in Florida for a year? I'm so glad you had the resources and determination to do that instead of becoming one more casualty.

    Sending much love and good wishes your way,
    Sigrid

     
  • At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Sigrid

    Bret came from a great family. His Mother, Grace, was a loving, kind woman, who managed to raise her kids on her own. Timmy, Brett's younger brother, was homosexual, and a sweet although, somewhat troubled boy. He passed away a long time ago from I believe (heard) HIV. Timmy was completely shattered by what his brother did to me, and could not believe Brett did what he did. Timmy took it very hard, as we had a great relationship. Brett's sisters were regular girls, and their Mother did a good job in spite of her shift work as a nurse. They seemed to be a "normal" family. I cannot recall where Brett's father was. For some reason, we didn't talk about that much....I'm not even sure if he was deceased or if they were divorced. My memory fails me there.
    Brett had an extremely high IQ....he was overly intelligent, and very charming and charismatic. He had a lot of beautiful girlfriends and always managed to "stay ahead" of the game. And there were a lot of games. He seemed to thrive on them.

    I remember when I met the investigating detective just before the trial, he told me that Brett had requested a lie detector test.......and beat it. He seemed to thrive on the power he got from deceiving people....it empowered him....a scary thought. I think this puts him in the "Ted Bundy" league. Cool, quiet calculated killers. The ones you don't see coming.
    I think Brett had all the chances of making something of himself and more, as a child growing up. He had a good job working up north as a "Line's man". No one really knows why he turned out to be cold blooded killer.
    Take care.

     
  • At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

[ Sign My Guestbook] [ View My Guestbook]

Powered by E-GuestBooks Server.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.