Milgaard Inquiry

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Aruba, Bahamas ... Come on, Pretty Mama

The tragic disappearance of 18-year-old Natalee Holloway in Aruba has garnered attention around the world. This beautiful, 18-year-old honor student from Alabama was celebrating her high school graduation with friends when she suddenly went missing. One of the young men who is being held in custody told police that something "bad had happened" that night, and there are conflicting reports as to whether or not someone has confessed to a crime.

While the media's attention is focused on the uncertainty of the whereabouts of a talented teenager with her entire life ahead of her, they haven't been paying quite as much attention to the legal aspects of the case. Did you know that Aruba is a Dutch protectorate and as such, it follows the laws of the Netherlands? In Aruba, someone can be held in custody for up to 116 days without any charges being laid against them! Hey, I think I'll go to Paradise Island next time I'm in the mood for a vacation.

I didn't understand that until I noticed that one person after another was being taken into police custody in the Holloway case. Don't misunderstand me. All I want is justice for Natalee Holloway and her poor family. Since she's been missing for more than two weeks now, it's unlikely that there will be a happy ending to this story. However, true justice is only realized when police arrest and confine the right person! Thus, I am also concerned about the way in which this case is being handled.

Sigrid Macdonald

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[ Sign My Guestbook] [ View My Guestbook]

Powered by E-GuestBooks Server.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.