Milgaard Inquiry

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Scott Peterson Revisited

The other day, I posted my thoughts about the Peterson trial and the death penalty sentence that Scott received. I said that his actions had been cold and callous. I have since reconsidered that statement.

I was watching Dennis Miller the other night. He had a panel of three or four people who were discussing the Peterson case. All of them, even the "left liberal" agreed that the death penalty was warranted in this instance. The liberal phrased that sentiment carefully; however, he did seem to agree with the rest of the group. Not one person questioned the actual verdict or Peterson's guilt or innocence.

The merciless death of an eight-month pregnant woman prompts a strong emotional response. No one could condone such a terrible act. We all want to find someone to blame and Scott's behavior was less than chivalrous. He had been cheating on his pregnant wife. That's not very admirable but it wasn't a crime the last time I checked.

I did some surfing on the Net late last night and came across some interesting sites that supported Scott. One of them is definitely worth reading. It's located at www.justiceforscott.com . The contributors there believe that a terrible miscarriage of justice has occurred in the Peterson case. They say that he was tried and executed by the media, and that there was absolutely no forensic evidence supporting the theory that Scott murdered his wife and child.

Prior to reading these Internet sites, I had been receiving most of my news about this case on CNN and MSNBC. All along, I had my doubts about Scott's involvement simply because the prosecution did not prove to me beyond a reasonable doubt that he committed the barbaric murder. Why didn't he just divorce Laci? He didn't have to kill her if he had planned to take up with Amber Fry, who was practically a stranger to him, since he had only known her for a few weeks.

Neighbors claimed to have seen Laci walking her dog the morning of the day that she was reported missing. Scott subjected himself willingly to three polygraphs. He opened his house up to the police right away when his wife went missing. Of course, he tried to disguise himself and take off for Mexico, but who wouldn't want to run if they were suspected of such a heinous act?

The truth of the Peterson case is that I simply don't know if Scott killed his wife and unborn child. I did not see any incontrovertible evidence in the trial. I said that his act was horrific because I wanted to believe that he killed her. I wanted closure, and perhaps because it is a women's issue -- violence against women -- my emotions got the better of me. I wanted to be on Laci's side. But there's still a way to be on Laci's side without jumping the gun and assuming that Scott had to be guilty because there doesn't seem to be anyone else to suspect!

I apologize for my presumptions. And I'm damn thankful that I'm not sitting on the Michael Jackson jury! LOL. I would have NO idea how to vote in that case except that once again, I have not seen any concrete proof that Jackson molested that boy. Peterson was a cheat and Jackson is certainly eccentric, but that doesn't make them criminals.

Please jump into the discussion and add your views about the Peterson or Jackson case on my message board.

Sigrid Macdonald. Copyright 2005. All rights reserved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[ Sign My Guestbook] [ View My Guestbook]

Powered by E-GuestBooks Server.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.